Monday, February 23, 2015

Rough Weekend

There is a level of 'being three' that can not be explained to anyone who has not had a three year old.

This weekend was a tough one! I have no idea if it was the phase of the moon or what but both girls were a mess.

MESS!

Ali was on fire this weekend. Everything she could possibly do to be contrary, was done. Every button pushed. Every toy thrown. Every request denied ended in tears. Every request fulfilled wasn't enough, or right, or what she wanted anymore.

I was going crazy! It came to a point where my husband literally picked her up put her in a chair in the living room and told her not to move. Do not move. Do not speak. Do not touch anything. Do not get up. Do not, do not, do not.

Elle is entering a fabulous new stage of screaming fury when she doesn't get what she wants. It's frustrating and funny all at the same time. She dramatically throws herself on the floor screeching like a cat in water, flailing around if she does not get what she wants immediately. That 'thing' is usually food, but can be a toy, Ali's hair brush, Ali's toy, her milk cup (regardless of there being anything in it), and heaven forbid...it's the mother of all fits if you think you want to change her diaper when she thinks it's time to eat.

She has also started fighting nap time.

:(

I hate that phase. She was so good and so easy for so long and we were so spoiled, and I knew it...I hate seeing that go.

Hopefully this will be a short lived phase and then we'll be back to happy napping.

Ali's was long.

Long and very difficult.

Very, very difficult.

Every time I put Ali to bed resulted in me feeling like I had been beaten up and left for dead on the side of the road. I don't really remember how long it took before Ali's bed time settled down but it felt like forever.

Elle has always loved bed time. She loves to go to bed. She's tired. She knows it. She wants to snuggle with her blanket and go to sleep. She's never given more than the tiniest token of resistance and only on rare occasions. Usually if she had two really good naps, and she was really tired at bed time she might protest, for about 30 seconds.

Now, it's screaming. And it's waking half way through the nap, screaming. And waking up half way through the night, screaming. My favorite is waking up 20 minutes before the alarm is supposed to go off, screaming.

Hopefully this was just a bad weekend and we won't have too many, but holy moly it was a doozy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh you poor thing!!!! I can so relate and I feel your pain. I never knew what a gift sleep was until I had kids. Nap time and bed time are the most sacred times of the day. Ha ha. I really hope it's just a short phase and she'll be back to loving sleeping again soon.

    I've totally had those days where I think why in the world did I think I could have all of these kids and who put me in charge!??! The life of a mother is crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete