Monday, July 23, 2012

Sew Important

I don't know why, but I always feel that I would be a better person if I could sew. There isn't really any good reasoning behind this feeling, I am just insanely jealous of people who can whip up a super cute outfit for their children out of scraps, while I am sadly working on my ability to sew a moderately straight line for cushion covers. (See nursery rocker below. Came out pretty good huh? Notice the lack of close up...)

Project Runway never ceases to increase this desire to be able to operate my sewing machine. I love that show. They're such creative people! There are so many things I feel like I should be able to do. Such as fix the fallen hem on my ONE good pair of dress pants that fit and look nice. I should be able to repair the elastic on the legs of one of Baby A's rompers. I should be able to sew curtains for the odd sized windows in the two upstairs bathrooms. I should be able to make little dresses for Baby A . How hard can it be? She's tiny, there can't be much fabric, why is this such a problem? And more importantly, why am I so intimidated by it!! I tend to stare at the sewing machine like it might bite me. I wander the fabric stores looking at dress patterns and instructions in awe and confusion. I would like to consider myself a fairly talented person in general and in most things tend to operate with the knowledge that there is very little in this world that I can not do or learn. Available time is definitely against me on this particular battle though. There isn't anything on my list of 'should be able to' that is high enough to require my sitting down and actually learning, although the pants are starting to get pretty high up there.

I can't quite decide if it's fear of failure, or plain old procrastination that's my true enemy here. There are too many other things on my list and I keep telling myself I'll get to it. Or maybe, I keep adding to the list so I won't get it. How do you get the jump on your subconscious to catch it in the act of circumventing a presented challenge? 

To try and catch it, I just looked up class schedules at JoAnn's to see what was offered and when. There is an upcoming Sewing 101 class on a Thursday evening from 6-8pm. I mentally thought, I could probably do that, but what is a 101 class going to teach me? How to thread my machine, I got that. How to pin my item, got that too. Bobbins, I can wind one. So now I start looking at Sewing 102 classes that may be a little more challenging. Well, those are three hours on a Saturday afternoon. Immediate: I can't do that, three hours on a Saturday afternoon that I should be home, making baby food for the upcoming week. Doing all the laundry that has piled up. Fitting in a workout somewhere so I don't get crazy...

oh wait, 

there's that subconscious...

Challenge circumvented. The pricing isn't even online. I'd have to go to the store (or call them) to find out. I can barely remember  to stop at Petco for dog food after work.

Fail.

Today's Perspective: Sewing might make me a better person. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment