Thursday, July 26, 2012

Treat myself to a workout!

I went to the gym last night! I can't tell you how excited I was to just go to the gym. All I did was spend 20 minutes on a treadmill, and I loved it. I was out of the house. I wasn't grocery shopping, or running errands. I  didn't have to worry about stopping my workout because Baby A woke up. I turned on my music and did 1.5 miles, walking half and running half. It felt like such a treat!

I also finally realized that getting a treadmill for the house would be a terrible idea. It would mean I'd still have to stop my workout if Baby A woke up. I'd still be in the house. I wouldn't be able to run with headphones on in case I needed to hear the monitor and at the end of the day, I wouldn't run the same way I don't yoga much at home because there are 100 other things that I should be doing instead. I need that separate place to go to. I have to get out and spend 20 minutes with nothing else to focus on except me. It's hard to let myself do that. Just me. No baby. No dogs. No husband. No work. Just me.

It sounds like such a small thing and it really shouldn't have to be a 'treat' to spend time on myself, but it is. I know a lot of mom's out there who understand completely. Even before kids, your personal time starts to move to the back burner depending on your family activities and commitments. I volunteer with dog rescues, mostly boxers, and I spend a fair amount of time transporting dogs, pulling dogs from animal control (not a fun place) and doing home visits with potential adopters. That's a commitment. My husband has his commitments which occasionally leaves me with household responsibilities and somehow, personal time gets pushed back. Now with Baby A in the mix too, it's even harder to find that time. I am going to do my best to make sure that this is a regular thing. Whether's is an hour yoga class, or 20 minutes on the treadmill. I need that escape. I need the gym.


No comments:

Post a Comment