Thursday, October 18, 2012

Crock Pot Cookin'

I love fall because that's when I pull out the crockpot. I love soups and stews and chilis and the ease of having dinner ready when I get home. I'm not sure why I don't use it more in the summer, but crockpot meals just scream cool weather to me and I can't make myself want chili when it's 99 degrees outside with 10000% humidity. To be fair I will do the occasionally pork shoulder for BBQ during the summer, but that's about it.

So, we tried a new recipe yesterday and I felt the need to share because it was AWESOME and there was NOTHING in it. Seriously, when I was putting the ingredients together I kept thinking I was missing something. This is from the Crockpot cookbook.

Italian Sausage Meatball Soup
1 lb mild italian sausage either already ground up, or remove from casings
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Mush together and make marble sized meatballs. Toss in crockpot with:

4 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (I added a little more than that)

Cook for 5 hours on low

Add 2/3 a cup of mini pasta shells. Cook for another 30 minutes.

Stir in a bag (10 oz) of baby spinach and serve with a little grated Parmesan.

It was so good! Putting this one in my back pocket for the next family get together when I have to make a dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment