Monday, June 24, 2013

13 Weeks and a Cold

I don't think there's much that's worse then being sick while pregnant. Basically you just have to suffer through. Yes there are a few approved medications but even those the doctors recommend you only take if absolutely necessary. Yesterday I did take Tylenol all day to keep my sore throat from making me completely useless. I may have had a slight fever too but never checked, and stayed medicated for the day anyway. Saturday when I started to really not feel good was right after Baby A's afternoon nap. So, here's a wide awake, happy, playful little girl and a miserable mama. I feel marginally bad about it, but I turned on an episode of Sesame Street and then took a nap on the couch while she watched it and played. She's such a good girl, really. I'm sure there are lots of mom's out there who would never be able to do that and not wake up to a complete disaster. Baby A was fine. She did wake me up a couple of times, but, hey, I'm napping in a room with a two year old, if I wanted silence and deep sleep that wouldn't be the place to get it.

Yesterday was tough too but we had a good morning and just before lunch I took her down to the neighborhood playground for an hour. The timing is important. Before nap time results in screaming child when it's time to leave because now we're overtired. In the middle of wide awake and playful time with no pending meal or nap, ends in the same screaming 'not ready to leave' fit. However, just before a meal, you have a natural ending point.

After about 45 minutes or so of swings and slides (which she goes down all by herself!) I started talking about what we were having for lunch. Mmmm, doesn't that sound good?? Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich with milk and blueberries? Mmmmm. And how about some goldfish?? I have those in the car. Did you want some goldfish? You do! Well, they're in the car, so how about we go hop up into our car seat and you can have some!


Feeling moderately proud of myself. I realize that I shouldn't be bribing my child with food. However, she's not even two yet and if I can get off the swings and into the car willingly and without screaming, I consider that a win.

The afternoon was spent coloring and playing on mama's bed. One of our favorite games, again, because I can doze while she loads the bed with all her toys and dolls and books.

My throat is better today but it's moving into my head and I'm pretty stuffy. My eyes are killing me too. That's probably not cold related and is something more along the lines of a consistent dry eye issue I've been dealing with since last summer. Again, annoying while pregnant because there's very little I can do about it. Most eye drops are not approved for use during pregnancy and while a few are, I was using one last fall when I had my miscarriage. It's probably not at all related. In my head I am completely aware that the likelihood that the eye drops had any small part in losing that baby is minuscule. However, in my heart, I'd rather suffer the eye issue for six more months than take that risk.

What I will probably do is get a bottle of contact solution to use as a rinse. I wore my contacts through my entire pregnancy with Baby A. All contact solution is, is a saline solution, so hopefully that can keep the irritants out and I have my hot compress that I will start doing twice a day. Hopefully that will take care of it for long enough to get through the year.

So, 13 weeks, and a few days. I didn't weigh myself today but I think I'm up to a solid 3 lbs gained. The baby is now the size of a plum. I do love those fruit analogies. It's kind of a fun visual.

No comments:

Post a Comment