Tuesday, October 8, 2013

How to prepare a two year old for a new baby?

I just googled this. I feel like we're doing all the right things but change is so hard for toddlers. I feel like Baby A is an especially routine child and she reacts so strongly to anything that is out of the ordinary. Last week my husband was home Friday morning during our normal 'get up and out' dance. He wasn't leaving the house until 7:30, was dressed and ready so offered to help with Baby A. I thought that was great. She, did not. I think it would probably have been different if I hadn't been in the house too. But, I was. I was upstairs doing my hair and getting dressed while my husband was downstairs trying to get Baby A to eat her breakfast. Everything he did, she screamed 'No! Mama! No! Mama!' I felt so bad, but I knew intervening wasn't an option. She has to deal with Daddy doing things even if I'm around. Soon I'll be taking care of the new baby and will need him to help with things like getting Baby A up, changed, dressed, fed and out the door. It's easier to let them figure it out now while we're all working on a full nights sleep and not completely stressed out.

Bringing a new baby into the house is probably the biggest thing we could possibly do to disrupt her little world. It kind of breaks my heart for her.

When I googled this I found all kinds of articles about explaining things to your two year old. Telling them what's going on and what changes are coming. I don't know about everyone else's two year olds, but there is no way that Baby A understands what I'm saying when I tell her we're having a baby. She knows what a baby is. And we've told her for months now that there's a baby in Mama's belly. But as far as her making the connection that this baby is coming home with us forever and ever and she's going to have to share attention, there is no way to explain that to a two year old. This is just going to be completely traumatic for her and it kills me.

At the same time, I know she'll get over it and I am so excited that she's going to get to have a little sister. I have a little sister and she is my best friend. I can't imagine my life without her and the fact that Baby A will get to have that relationship too makes me so happy.

We just all have to survive the next two to three years.

Which is probably a little questionable...

No comments:

Post a Comment