Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Disappointment

I don't know how to say this.

No one came to my daughter's first birthday party.

My heart hurts.

In the grand scheme of things, I realize that she's never going to know, and she didn't care one way or the other, she's only a year old. But it just really hurt me that our friends didn't come to our daughter's first birthday party. What would I have said to Baby A if this was her 5th birthday party, or her 10th, and no one came? How do you explain to children why their friends didn't consider their birthday party important enough to attend, or even to RSVP, or even to notify us after having already RSVP-ed that they weren't going to be able to make it. Who does that to a little girl?

Just to clarify, my parents were there, my in-laws where there as well as Aunt A. Pregnant SIL and my husbands brother opted to stay home rather than drive 3.5 hours each way while 37 weeks pregnant. Good choice. Also, our good friends W&A up the street came with their little girl and W's sister was in town, so she and her husband and 18 month old came. That was it. I had food for around 25 people. I had three dozen cupcakes. Beautiful cupcakes. I decorated teacups and made 3 gallons of sweet tea. And no one came.

We have so many cupcakes left. Enough potato salad and chopped veggies to last the month.

I don't understand. How do I protect my daughter from all the hurt and pain in the world when it's so easy for the people around us, in our lives, to hurt her, to hurt me.

Looking back at the pictures of the party, it's hard to be too upset. Baby A had a great time. And at the end of the day, that's the important part.



How do you argue with that?



No comments:

Post a Comment