Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Not a Political Post

I can't stand political tirades. I don't think it's possible to change people's minds by posting political crap posts online. My opinions are my opinions. Mine. Not yours. It's my vote, not yours, go away. It's my decision whether I want to be an informed voter, or if I want to go on instinct and gut reaction to the parties involved in the election. To be completely honest, 9 times out of 10, I am the later of those two options.

With all the hubbub going on right now about this Akins guy and the VP nominee Paul Ryan, I finally decided I needed to inform myself. I had no idea who Akins was or what he had said. I have to admit I was blown away by what I found on these two men. I felt I needed to share.

Please know, this is not a political post. I am not trying to tell you how to vote, or even that you need to go research these people yourself. Your vote, your opinion, cool with me. I'm just so amazed by some of the things these two men have said that I haven't stopped thinking about it and so, post.

First let me say that I looked up Mitt Romney also and while I'll stick to my 'I just don't like him' stance, his policies aren't terrible, they aren't great and they're not what I support, but he seems to ride down the middle of most subjects and isn't overly offensive or combative about them. I still think he's kinda sleazy and when future sex scandals come to light, I won't be overly surprised.

Todd Akin, current Missouri Senator. "Misspoke" during a recent interview (from wikipedia).


In an August 19, 2012 interview aired on St. Louis television station KTVI-TV, Akin was asked his views on whether women who became pregnant due to rape should have the option of abortion. He replied:
Well you know, people always want to try to make that as one of those things, well how do you, how do you slice this particularly tough sort of ethical question. First of all, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.

Really? Misspoke? I'd love to know which doctors he learned this from.

If you haven't seen this hurtling through facebook and viral emails please take the time to read it. It's an amazingly well written response.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eve-ensler/todd-akin-rape_b_1812930.html

I have nothing else to say to this. Missouri will have to deal with him.


Paul Ryan, current Republican Vice Presidential Nominee.

These are policies that he has proposed, voted for or against, and things he has said. Actual quotes, not inferences people have put together based on their interpretation of his comments. (again, from wikipedia)

Ryan's budget proposals "would mean significant cutbacks for education across the board."[91] Rick Hess of the American Enterprise Institute notes that on "'education, training, employment, and social services,' the Ryan budget would spend 33% less" than Obama's budget plan over the next decade.[92] In particular, the Ryan plan would lower the income level qualification from $33,000 to $23,000 for the Pell Grant program, and set a maximum grant of $5,550, about one-third the average total year cost of college, a historically low percentage. According to an analysis by the Education Trust, this would result in more than 1 million students losing Pell Grants over the next 10 years. Additionally, under Ryan's plan, student loans would begin to accrue interest while students are still in school.[93][91] Ryan states that his education policy is to "allocate our limited financial resources effectively and efficiently to improve education."[

I have a problem with this. College is so expensive and getting worse. Students have a hard enough time paying these loans back without an additional 4 years of interest. I'd also love to know how this policy is going to improve education when you just made it that much harder for 1 million students to afford to go to college.

The biggest topic these days is his stance, in association with Senator Akin, on women's rights and abortion issues.

He believes all abortions should be illegal, including those resulting from rape or incest, and only makes an exception for cases where the woman's life is at risk.
During Ryan's 1998 campaign for Congress, he "expressed his willingness to let states criminally prosecute women who have abortions," telling the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel at the time that he "would let states decide what criminal penalties would be attached to abortions," and while not stating that he supports jailing women who have an abortion, stated: "if it's illegal, it's illegal."
This could lead to laws that would "criminalize all abortion, as well as in vitro fertilization and some forms of birth control."[135][136]
Ryan voted to cut off federal funding for Planned Parenthood andTitle X family planning programs.[68][137] He also opposed giving over-the-counter status for emergency contraceptive pills.[138][72] Ryan was one of 173 co-sponsors of the 2011 No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act bill in the House of Representatives that would have limited funding for federally funded abortions to victims of "forcible rape". "Forcible rape" was not defined in the bill, which critics said would result in excluding date rape, statutory rape, or other situations where the victim had diminished mental capacity. The language was removed from the bill before the House passed the bill, the Senate did not vote on the bill.[139]

There are so many things I have issues with here that I just don't think I can even get started on them. He is actively attempting to overturn the Roe vs Wade ruling. He also opposes civil unions and/or marriages for gay and lesbian couples and is working towards a constitutional ban on them which would supersede laws already voted into place in individual states.

I am and always have been a Republican and (usually) proud of it. However, there is no way I am going to be able to vote for this man. I truly feel that should he be elected, women's rights (as well as those of G/L/T's) would suffer severely in the four years he is in office.

That's the end of my 'not a political post'. Again, I'm not trying to change your opinion or influence your vote. I just was so very amazed by what I read and amazed that this is the person chosen as a Vice Presidential Nominee. I think any shot Romney had is probably gone now, not that I mind, not that I'm an Obama supporter either. I really don't know what I'm going to do come November. I think I might vote for Big M as a write in ballot. He'd be a a great President. He photographs well, never says anything he doesn't mean and believes hugs and kisses solve all problems.


Big M For President!

No comments:

Post a Comment