Monday, February 25, 2013

Cookie Hoarding

I am a bad liar. I've never really been sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it is very true. I am a terrible liar and my husband knows this. He not only knows it but takes advantage of it. He frequently guesses what his Birthday or Christmas presents are, because he goes through a rambling inventory of things that I could possibly have gotten him and as soon as he hits the right one, he knows. Every time. No matter what I say. Even if i say 'yep that's it' to every single thing he mentions, he always knows when he gets to the actual one. He's such a stinker.

I hoard cookies, specifically Girl Scout Cookies, more specifically, Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies. mmmmmmmm. My husband runs marathons, there is no fat on him and he eats dessert every night. During the winter months it is Oreo cookies. During the summer it's ice cream. If I happen to forget to pick up a weather appropriate dessert item, he has been knows to go out to the store at 9 pm to purchase the dessert item. The day is not complete without either cookies or ice cream. So, Girl Scout Cookie season is one of his favorite times of year. This particular year I happened to be out of the house when our local scout stopped by to take orders. My husband very willingly filled in and ordered 8 boxes of cookies. Not too crazy, two of each of the 'main' flavors; Thin Mint, Tagalong, Do Si Do and Samoa. That's great. Pretty close to what I would have ordered.

The difference is, when I order the cookies, my husband doesn't know how many boxes are showing up. So, if I were to, let's just say, order 3 boxes of Thin Mints and take one to work so I can snack at my leisure  he would never know about that mysterious box #9. I don't do this for the purpose of hiding cookies from my husband. I do this for the purpose of getting more than two or three cookies from a box before it's gone. When he sits down to eat cookies, he eats cookies. We go through a full package of Oreos in a week and I don't have any. He eats the whole thing.

So as it happens, one of the other mom's at Baby A's daycare is a troop leader and for the last two years I have placed my sister's order through them so I'm spreading the cookie love to all the scouts equally. This year after receiving our regular order from the girl in our neighborhood I realized my dilemma. So I emailed the mom from daycare and ordered two extra boxes for myself. They had been in my car and are now safely stashed at work. All of this would have been fine and never hit the husband cookie radar if I had any common sense. But clearly, I don't.

The other night my husband sat down after dinner with a box of Tagalongs which happens to be one of the two 'extra' boxes that I had purchased secretly. I walk by and take two at which point he grumbled and this is how the rest of the evening went:

Husband: my cookies.

Me: No they're not, they're my cookies.

Husband: No, I bought them, they're my cookies. I bought 8 boxes, they're mine.

Me: That's MY box of cookies, that's box #9 that I bought for....

Silence.

Husband: Where are the extra cookies.

Silence.

Husband: Where are the extra cookies.

Me: I don't know what you're talking about.

Husband: Where are the extra cookies.

Husband: Where are the extra cookies.

The whole rest of the night. Every 5 minutes.

Husband: Where are the extra cookies.

Damn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment