Monday, May 19, 2014

When is a vacation not a vacation?

When you bring your two year old and four month old along too.

Every spring Mama T takes a week vacation to go to the beach. I swear she does it just to remind us mom's that the full time gig is rough! I know I can't be the only one who runs in on Monday morning and throws my kids at her, kicking my heels in the air as I sprint back to the car and tra-la-la my way to the office.

I love my girls, I do, but wow it's a completely different universe when you've got two kids, with two different nap schedules, one mobile, one not, out of town, not in their own beds, sharing a room with messed up naps, meals, toys and time zone.

Add to that, Elle just started rolling over, which is cute. Unless it's 4:30 in the morning, and she gets mad because she can't figure out how to roll back. Thankfully she's a quick study and it only took a couple days for her to figure out both directions. Now, I put her on her playmat and come back to find her flipped over and scooted half way across the room. Good lord she's going to keep me on my toes. I'm fairly sure she'll be crawling way before Ali did.

Elle has also developed this thumb-sucking habit and while we were out of town, and she was sharing a room with Ali, I let her have it. It was just a little too rough when she was the only one who didn't switch to central time zone and 5:30 in the morning was a 'late' wake up in her little mind. With her thumb available, she just flipped onto her back, kicked her feet up in the air and sucked her thumb until I drug myself out of bed to get her. Without her thumb, she was a screaming mess with Ali right there to suffer through.

While I really love visiting my in laws cabin, there are some definite downsides.

Technically, it's 'free'. However, because it's 'free' my husband feels the need to do some yard work and general maintenance that my father in law has trouble doing, or that will take him longer than it would my husband. This is a wonderful thing that my husband does, and it's really his nature to do this. However, I specifically asked him to not turn this trip into him playing in the yard with his dad all week and leaving me with the kids on my own. That's what happened last time, when we had one daughter. I will admit he did better this time, not great, but better and really made an effort to take Ali out on his own several times.

Another downside is that I really can't send Ali out to play without being right there too. At home, I can hand her a bottle of bubbles, a plastic cup and a broom and she will have a great time doing who-knows-what in the backyard. Our fenced, safe, view-able backyard. At the cabin, there's no fence, it's a mountain, there's poison ivy, there's deep woods, weird locals and wildlife...like bears walking down the road wildlife. While Ali is outside, someone has to be with her.

All in all, it was a nice week with family and some really quality time with the girls, but now, I need another vacation, one without the kids.
Ali at 'the pool'

On the boat

Elle and my Mother in Law

The vest was just a bit big...




No comments:

Post a Comment